Tuesday, August 16, 2011

GPS


I follow my GPS well. I follow my GPS so well in fact, that a quick trip to Indianapolis on Sunday almost landed my friends and I in Louisville. Generally a statement like that would be taken sarcastically, but I truly did follow the turn-by-turn directions the GPS, TomTom, was giving to a T. The problem... me.  I told her to take me to the wrong place. As the road trip became longer than I thought it would be, I finally started to pay attention to where I was and realized something; I had never been there before. After a call to my human GPS back home, MomMom, we began the half hour backtrack to our destination. 

Sometimes I make this same mistake in life. I can get so focused on the end goal that I miss everything happening around me. It seems this happens especially when I'm in a "phase", like high school and now, college. Each of these four year segments have a specific ending that I aim for. With high school, I wanted to end with scholarships for college, so I spent those years with my head in books barely taking time to experience what was happening around me. Now with college, I find myself determined to not make the same mistake. 
We hear the saying often, "stop and smell the roses." Even when life gets busy and cluttered, it is so important to look around ourselves and see what is happening. Not only does this put life in perspective, but think about how much you will be able to see! Once our view isn't obstructed and the tunnel vision is lifted, opportunities open. 
Life wouldn't be nearly as much fun if the destination was all that mattered. It's what you do while getting there that makes life exciting. I believe that God gave us life so that we can live it to the fullest! It's about the people, opportunities, and places around us. 
So take a moment and look around you. You may be surprised by how incredible the view is. 

1 comment:

  1. very thought-provoking :) I enjoy reading your posts Lauren, so please keep writing. You are gifted for sure!

    ReplyDelete